Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

What legal rights does a grandmother have to remain in touch

Customer Question

What legal rights does a grandmother have to remain in touch with grandchildren, who are denied access to their father?

Thank you question.

How old are the children and why do they have no contact with their father?
What contact have the children had with their grandmother in the past?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The children are 11 and 19 . The girl - is 11 and there is young male adult 19 yrs of age. They were moved far away from their home town 10 years ago by a very bitter mother, who herself has denied the father (my son) access, in spite of court orders requiring contact. My son pays maintenance and VERY rarely (maybe once a year, very short time is allowed by her to see his children. They have been persuaded that they do not want to see their father - a professional self-employed musician, who desperately wants to have contact with his children during the school holidays. The logical position of more legal matters, seems of us too drastic and will hurt the children when/if their mother is logically 'punished' the court recommendations.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should have mentioned that when they lived in the same town as myself, I was involved in baby siting and fun activities like swimming and Centreparc holidays. Now the contact is perhaps once a year , VERY short time in the mother's presence.

May I ask why you cannot approach the 19 year old directly?