Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am getting divorced. My ex left 18 months ago and I am

Customer Question

I am getting divorced. My ex left 18 months ago and I am still living in the family home which we reach financial settlement.
We recently had the FDR and so things are moving in the right direction at last. We've put our house on the market but since the last estimate, which we used at the FDR, house prices have gone up considerably. and I think the agents are underselling us, judging by other prices nearby.
Can I ask them to put it on at a higher price than the estimate discussed at the FDR? I want to get as much as we can for the property - it was always an investment which I put alot of my own money into - but my ex will probably want to take the first offer so he can grab the money and run.
Can you advise me what my position is? It's difficult to talk to my ex as he's in a permanent state of anger and will never give a simple, straight answer!
He has refused to contribute to the mortgage in any way or house maintenance...
Have you discussed the price issue with the agent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have spoken to the agents and they say they prefer to pitch low and get a bit of a bidding war going.

After the FDR I felt a bit railroaded to get the house on the market asap. The house agents called me the day after (on the instructions of my ex) and I was made to feel we should go forward swifty. My ex still has to produce some financial information.

Meantime, now I can think more clearly I feel we should have checked with the other two house agents we originally asked for estimates to make sure the price was on track.

Have you now spoken to those agents?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am planning to speak to them on Monday. Shall I get back to you after I've spoken to them?
That would be a fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Claire
I spoke to two more house agents and they both valued the house at ten per cent more than the agent we agreed at court. Is it reasonable for me to ask either to change house agents or ask the house agent we agreed on to pitch the price higher? I don't want to be seen to be trying to overprice the house and stall the process.
Has there been any interest in the property so far?