13262538

I am splitting from my partner and we are living in private

Customer Question

I am splitting from my partner and we are living in private rented accommodation have I got to keep paying half the rent to the end of the agreement.
When does the Tenancy end, who will live at the property and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tenancy ends Dec 15, there are no children involved and my partner can afford to pay the rent.

Have you asked the landlord if you can be released from the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am doing that today

If the Landlord will not do so then you need to understand that there are two different issues involved.
So far as the Landlord is concerned you will indeed remain "jointly and severally liable" for the rent.
However in the event of non payment the first step will be eviction - and if you are not living there then that is not going to have an immediate effect on you.
Your ex cannot force you to pay your half of the rent if you choose not to do so - and it is your ex who will face losing his or her home
It is in fact unreasonable to expect you to pay for a property you are no longer living in - so resist and pressure to do so
Please ask if you need further details