13262538

my ex husband died just recently. we have been divorced for

my ex husband died just recently. we have been divorced for 28 years and had two children. he had been living with his girlfriend for 21 years. he had a good job and a comfortable living. how does his/my daughter find out if there is a will? his girlfriend has apparently shut his bank account and she said there is nothing in it which his sister finds to be very odd and the funeral hasn't been paid for which is upsetting my daughter as his ashes are still at the crematorium and she is also worried if she has to pay for the funeral as she doesn't have the money to pay for it
has your daughter spoken to the partner about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. she hasn't seen her father for many years because of his new partner its a difficult situation.

Who arranged the funeral?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

my daughter registered the death and his partner arranged the funeral

So they were able to communicate about that.
If your daughter did not instruct the Undertakers then she is not responsible for the bill
The sensible way forward is for your daughter to write to the partner is a neutral way asking about the position and pointing out that if there is no Will then your daughter will have to deal with the estate.
If there is no response follow it up with not only a reference to the Will but also ask for his financial details so that she can apply to administer the Estate.
Separately your daughter should also make contact with his last employers and enquire about his pension.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare
My daughter has asked what is happening with her dad's finances as my son apparantly was told in the hospital when their dad was dying that there was no will. His partner is not coming forward with any answers and just said all is in the hands of solicitors.
Dawn
Has she said which solicitors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Clare. No. She would only say its in the hands of solicitors when my daughter asked any questions