Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

I have been paying rented property since 1997 and been

I have been paying for my rented property since 1997 and been advised that I have paid the mortgage off so my landlord is now mortgage free.
While I am grateful for a roof over my head, all these years, it is frustrating not to have security or benefit from a better financial situation through paying my own mortgage. I am left with very little and feel I cannot reduce my hours having no control on future rents. It is a case of having been trapped unable to buy a house with no deposit and unable to save due to paying the rent.
Do I have any rights or anything to gain after all these years?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid not. If you rent a property it will never be yours and the landlord derives an income from the rent that you pay. You have the rights that you ar granted under the lease and under the law of landlord and tenant but you will never gain any property ownership rights in your home, if that is what your question seeks to ask.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.