13262538

My 2nd wife (who passed recently) & I decided to leave our

My 2nd wife (who passed recently) & I decided to leave our home to her daughter my step daughter (15) in trust until she is 21, and the rest of her estate to myself and my son, what would happen to our home if my step daughter died before making a will or reaching 21. I am not sure what rights I have or indeed if I am still classed as "step-father". My wife would not want our home to go to her ex husband!!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your loss
Does the Will make any reference to what should happen if your step daughter does not attain the age of 21?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Clare,

No unfortunately not, my wife's illness deteriorated quite quickly and the will was kind of rushed, neither my wife or I gave any thought to that possible option.

Although the deeds to the house were in my wife's sole name, ALL of the household bills were paid by myself. (not sure if this makes a difference)

David

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was the Will prepared by a Solicitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
And the solicitor did not point out the potential problem?
Can you reproduce the wording of the clause please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No at no point was it discussed.

Give me 1 moment pls

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says;

"I give free of Inh/Tax my freehold prop (our address)to my trustees to hold on and subject to following trusts and provisions

1, upon trust to sell without being liable for loss.

2, as long as husband wants to occupy he shall do so, providing he maintains and insure property to its full value and provisions. the trustees may make no effort to sell property whilst he occupies.

3, trustees shall hold said property in trust for daughter should she survive me (wife) and reach the age of 21.

That is it regarding our home. i am one if the trustees,

David

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that - which solves the problem.
Your step daughter only inherits the house IF she attains the age of 21 - should she die before then the house will revert back and form part of the Residuary estate
Your step daughter will need to make a Will before she is 21 however as otherwise shoudl anything happen to her after her 21st birthday her assets would indeed pass to her father
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank Clare,

That seem to tie things up, but for clarification;

If she dies before 21 it goes into the rest of the estate, if after 21 it goes to her dad (unless a will is made)

David

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Yes you have understood that correctly