13262538

I have separated from my partner and he has given moneys to

Customer Question

I have separated from my partner and he has given moneys to his children from our joint bank account. Is there anything that can be done
Clare :

Clare :

Thank you for your question

Clare :

Clare :

Clare :

How much has he given away and where did the funds come from initially

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has taken £20000 from our joint account and I suspect has given it to his daughters. They came from the sale of a house.

How long have you lived together and how much were the sale proceeds in total
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

Have been together 12 years and the proceeds in total were £65000

How was the original purchase funded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The original purchase was funded from the sale of my house and part of my pension lump sum.

Have you moved the balance of the funds to an account in your sole name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - Have following the withdrawal of the £20000.

So the position is that he has withdrawn £20,000 and you have the balance of £45,000.
I am assuming that you are not married - is that correct?
What do you wish to happen next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

The position is complicated. I am married for 12 years and while in NZ on holiday he withdrew £20000 and gave to his daughters without my knowledge. That helped cause us to separate. I have taken £32000 from the joint account and deposited in an account of my own. The point is it was all my money in the first place from sale of house and pension lump sum. I presume he is entitled to 50% however my question is is there any comeback from the money he has given to his daughters.

A 12 year relationship does indeed give your ex a substantial share of the assets even if all the capital originally came for you
However within the financial side of the divorce proceedings you are entitled to argue that your ex has received his share of the assets by way of the money that he has given to his daughters - so whilst the monies cannot be recovered as such - neither are they totally "lost" so far as you are concerned
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details