13262538

A house was brought years before marriage between a father

Customer Question

A house was brought years before marriage between a father and son. Father paid the whole deposit. House mortgage in both father and sons name. House has been let to tenents ever since brought. Son later got married and now getting divorced. Is his wife entitled to this house. Which was purchased via mortgage premarriage.
The son's interest in the property does form part of the Matrimonial Assets for consideration by the court.
However the fact that the ownership predates the marriage, and that the asset has always been entirely separate, plus the fact that the deposit was paid by the father makes it highly unlikely that the Family Court will in fact give the wife any share of the asset - unless there are insufficient other assets from which to meet the wife's reasonable needs
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When and how does one go about starting divorce proceedings

This is slightly different question, and accordingly I am afraid that the rules of the site mean that it has to be asked as a separate thread.
When doing so please let me have details of the reasons for the breakdown of the marriage