13262538

there. I am just starting a divorce, and im worried in

Customer Question

Hi there.
I am just starting a divorce, and im worried in case my husband will be able to claim the money i inherited from my father before i married. I used some of the money to pay off the mortgage in my pre-marital home 5 years before we married, and my husband has never lived in or contributed towards my house. I put the rest of the money into cash isas and savings accounts. After we married, i moved in with my husband into his rented property while my son stayed in the pre-marital home. I've used a fair bit of the savings since we married towards our rent and bills. I also paid £6000 for the wedding.
Melanie
How long have you lived together and what is the value of the assets that you each have?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there. We were married/lived together from 26/9/2009 to 4/10/2014. My house is worth £90,000 and savings are approx £35,000. We have no joint assets. My husband is self employed, but I think he is bankrupt. I earn £190 per week

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We lived together from when we got married, ie 26/9/2009 to 4/10/2014

My flat is worth approx £90,000, and i have savings of approx £30,000.

We have no joint assets, and the ones i have, are still in my maiden name.I'm not sure of my husbands assets, although he does have a static caravan inherited from his father which is approximately £5000

I earn £190 per week. My husband was self-employed when we seperated, but said that the business was struggling, and he was thinking of declaring himself bankrupt

Melanie

Your is a short to medium length relationship which gives your ex a limited claim on your assets - even more limited given the fact that you have kept your inherited assets entirely separate.
However the fact that there are no other assets means that the court MIGHT award him a small lump sum - but even that is unlikely if it is likely to be lost in his Bankruptcy/
Please ask if you need further details