Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

Do I have to give my unemployed boyfriend anything to leave

Do I have to give my unemployed boyfriend anything to leave my house, he's lived with me for 3 years and never contributed a penny?
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Are there any children of the relationship?
Did he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?
Kind regards,
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom

No children. He's never paid for anything in the property or carried out any work or improvements.

Kind Regards

Cindy

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cindy
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
My answer assumes that he did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you are unmarried.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Therefore if he has not contribute any money to the property and has not carried out any improvement then he will not be able to claim against the property.
If he does not have any agreement about the terms of his occupation then he will be regarded as an “excluded occupier”, which means that he does not have many rights. One right that he does have is to receive reasonable written notice of eviction. So, I would think that if you served 6-8 weeks notice on him the you would be able to evict him thereafter.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Tom