Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

would debt of over ten years old Argos catalog be sent

Customer Question

would debt of over ten years old for a Argos catalog be sent to court and chased by a bailiff
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question, I will assist you with this.
Can you explain your situation in a little more details please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, my girlfriend is asking for money for a Argos shopping card debt saying a bailiff has come to the door asking for it, apparently it has already been to court with out her knowing, but the debt is from ten years ago. i didn't think debt of this age was followed up. i dont believe her that this has really happened and think she is trying to trick me out of the money.

Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for the additional details Paul, but from what you say I take it you are getting second hand information from your girlfriend?
If your girlfriend had a debt on a card 10 years ago and has not heard from the creditor, paid anything, or contacted the creditor in the last six years, then the debt is 'statute barred' and therefore it's legally unenforceable.
It is often the case that old debts are sold on to collection companies who use certain tactics to try and force payment.
If you don't believe your girlfriend - and that in itself raises a whole host of other issues - then you should ask her to show you the correspondence. If the correspondence exists, then unless there is a court order/judgment or evidence that she has made a payment on this in the last 6 years then she could ignore this.
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul
Was there anything else you wished to ask regarding this or have you managed to get the full information from your girlfriend?
If there is nothing else, I would be grateful if you would accept or rate my answer when you get a moment.