Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have been divorced years and have been paying

Customer Question

I have been divorced for several years and have been paying the mortgage on what was the family home for almost six years since my wife left me.
We have a son , who I have being paying maintenance for . I now have a baby from another relationship aged 6 months.
We have recently finally sold the house, at a loss and has left me in debt.
There is not enough money after paying costs to buy another house.
My x wife believes she is entitled to all of the money, could you tell me is this true, even though I have another dependent now , and it will leave close to bankruptcy !
Regards Huw.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for getting back to me , if you can foresee me having an answer in the next day or so then I am willing to a little longer.
Thankyou
Huw Pearce
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much was the house worth and how much was outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for your reply to my question.
To answer your questions;
Firstly- house value - £203,000
Outstanding mortgage -£146,000
Secondly- My income -£12,000
My x-wife -£ 8,000
...and there are no assets.
I trust you have enough info now to answer my question.
Many thanks.
Huw Pearce
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I need to ask if contracts have been exchanged and where your ex will live with the child?
What other debts are there (you refer to selling at a loss)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes contracts have been exchanged and we completed the sale.
My ex wife has lived my son seperately for almost 6 years, and I have moved nearer them, away from the house , which is 4 hours north, so I can see my son.
I have incurred debts , due to paying the mortgage on the house, council tax, maintnance etc,etc costing me around£10,000 plus per year for the last 4 years(1 year tennants were there) whilst trying the sell the house.
The house was sold for about £30,000 less than paid for it.
I have obviously been paying child support of about £450 per month and had to pay rent on houses , so as to be nearer my son.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is helpful thank you
Does your ex intend to purchase a property?
Does she have a new partner?
(overall it is looking good!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was hoping to buy if there were enough funds after the sale.
It is my understanding that a court would say that if that was the case then she and he were entitled to 'roof over their heads',but there is not and I know have another child ?!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much would a cheaper two bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy and what is her mortgage capacity?