13262538

,I have a Salary of £19,000 a year. I am divorced. What

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Salary of £19,000 a year. I am divorced. What is the minimum child support a Father (me) should be giving and how is it calculated? My son is 12 years old and lives with his mother,
I currently pay £350 a month to the mother. How much notice do I need to give the mother of any changes made?
Thanks, Philip

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Have you any other children?
How many nights a week does your son stay with you?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Assuming that is your only income (no dividends etc) then your liability is 12% of your gross income.
This is subject to a reduction if you have the child overnight more that 52 nights a year - or if you have one or more children living in your household.
You can read more here
http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/cs3-calculations
This also assumes that there is no court order for spouse maintenance involved.
It would be sensible to give at least a months notice of any planned change
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,
I only have one child and see him every other weekend. I don't want to suddenly be on the wrong side of the law if the 12% changes so I was thinking of giving along the lines of 15%,
Philip
It used to be 15% of net - now it is 12% of gross - but you are welcome to be generous!