13262538

what are the rights of an unmarried biological father. and

Customer Question

what are the rights of an unmarried biological father. and can the mother limit contact with the father.
Expert:  Kasare replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question, in order to answer you fully can you please provide some more details.
How old is the child? Have you ever had contact? Are you named as the father on the birth certificate? Any other details you think may be helpful.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
In the Uk the law says that a child is entitled to contact with BOTH parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Neither party has the right to simply impose a pattern of contact and the parents are expected to negotiate on the matter - using Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
if necessary, bearing in mind that contact should be appropriate to the child's age and knowledge of the father
If no agreement can be reached then an application can be made to the court for a Child Arrangement Order which sets out the time the child spends with each parent and which is enforceable
If the child was born after December 2003 and the father is named on the birth certificate then he hasParental Responsibility for the child in any event - but even if he is not named on the birth certificate contact is still expected.
You can read more here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
Please ask if you need further details