13262538

I had left my home and children in 2012 and filed divorce

Customer Question

I had left my home and children in 2012 and filed for a divorce on my husband on unreasonable grounds. The divorce has come through in Oct 2013. I am finding that I have limited access to my 16 and 14 year old children - 2 nights every second weekend and 2 hours on a Thursday evening.
What are my rights as a mother?
Are the children happy with the Contact arrangements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

They are so influenced by their Dad that they seem to think that the arrangement is set in stone and they will not go against him.

I am not sure if they are happy with the contact arrangements.

Michelle

Contact is the right of the children and not the adults
The court cannot make any orders for contact with respect to the 16 year old - who is free to make whatever arrangements he or she wishes for contact with you.
The Court could make an order in respect of the 14 year old - but is unlikely to force a pattern of contact that the 14 year old does not want.
Your starting point is to try and discuss contact with your ex using Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
and use a mediator trained to work with young people so that your children have the chance to express themselves
if that fails it woudl be unwise to chose to take the matter to court unless you are certain that the younger child wants more contact
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details