13262538

, I have a joint mortgage. If my partner and I split or

Hi, I have a joint mortgage. If my partner and I split or worse (bereavement) what would happen? I have to mention I put a lump sum into the house which is more than the mortgage and my partner is still married? Thank you
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Why has the agreement not yet been signed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
House probably worth 270,000 outstanding mortgage 77,000, for personal reasons
i assume that the solicitor does have evidence of the discussions that you and your partner had regarding the financing of the purchase?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely, they did the transfer of funds from bank account on the completion day -also I have a copy of the draft Declaration of Trust drawn up by solicitor outling the funds I put in and who gets what if a split occurred
Do you currently hold the property as beneficial Joint Tenants or as Tenants in Common?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, I'm sorry I'm not sure what that means, it's just mortgage in both our names - wd I have to ask our mortgage company? Or I can check my paperwork
It is something the solicitor shoudl have discussed with you - whether you each wanted to own your own share or if the person who lived longest would get the lot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The declaration of trust says I get back what I put in basically and we share the profit
This would have been spoken about before that.
have you had a copy of the Title deeds from the solicitor following completion of the matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Clare, I guess the title deeds are with the solicitor? Would it mention on there a part ownership then? Apologies I have not checked the mortgage letter yet, I will do this as a matter of urgency
It will not be on the mortgage so please do not worry.
When was the purchase completed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening, purchase was completed 26/4/2013, i
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I spoke to the lady who did the mortgage for us and I'm sure she said it was a beneficial (sorry to sound vague)
You can find out for certain by going to the land Registry and downloading a copy of the Register entries
https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry
You need to look in the Section marked B
If these words are there
RESTRICTION: No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Registrar or the court.
Then you hold it as Tenants in Common - if not then you hold it as Beneficial Joint Tenants and when the first of you dies the property automatically passes to the survivor
In addition if you split up it will be assumed that the property is owned 50/50 - although given the evidence that you have that this was not the intention you shoudl be able to prove otherwise
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details