13262538

Can someone who is not from the UK (in fact is from kenya)

Can someone who is not from the UK (in fact is from kenya) come to the UK and get legal aid to pursue a paternity claim against British citizen who does not not currently live in the UK?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is this a hypothetical question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's hypothetical.

Jeremy

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Then the simple answer is that Legal Aid is no longer available for such cases in any event.
In addition if the putative father has no assets of income in the UK there is no basis on which an application could be made here.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What about if she paid for a solicitor and did not need Legal Aid?

Is there any way she could get a court order which would / could be enforced in the event I came back to the UK?

Long story short this woman has been blackmailing me on the basis that she is pregnant. I gave her some money and then she came back for more. When I refused to send yet more cash she started posing on my company's social media which was very embarrassing.

Now she is saying that after the baby is born she is going live a life of luxury at my expense...

I am just trying to review all options. All my friends and relatives are convinced that she is NOT pregnant but I can not get the thought that she might be out of my mind and I am trying to evaluate and understand all options

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any assets in the Uk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - no assets as gave everything away in a divorce two years ago
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Ok - and you do not work for a Uk company and are not paid in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I work in Saudi Arabia for a local family and I am so stressed by what has happened to me and the embarrassment of postings on Twitter and Facebook I am not working properly and will probably be fired soon!

If I leave I will not be returning to the UK

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Then there is no basis on which she can make an application in the UK whether she uses a lawyer or not
However if she gets an Order in Kenya it could be enforced here in the Uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You mean it could be enforced if I was ever to return to live in the UK?

Is there a time limit on orders of this kind and is there some way of checking to see if there are any court orders against me in the UK?

Are court orders flagged against passport numbers?

Sorry to keep asking questions!

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
It cannot be enforced in the Uk unless you have seen a copy and are aware of it - so you will not be at risk at the airport!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
There cannot be any orders against you here in the Uk as you have not been made aware of any application.
The time limit is the child's 18th birthday
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years