13262538

Ex is buying a house that exceeds our settlement

Customer Question

I've discovered that my ex is buying a house that exceeds what he could afford with our divorce settlement agreed at court. I always suspected he was holding back information about his funds. What can I do?
ow much is he spending - and how much is he borrowing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't know yet. Do we have a right to ask?

No I am afraid not - you will have to wait until you have more evidence of how much he paid etc before you can do anything.
If you do manage to gain evidence that he had assets hidden away then the settlement can be reopened.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What would consitute more evidence? The fact that he's bought a bigger house than he says he could afford?

Not necessarily no - that often happens.
It is how he funded it that will be important - so anything you hear about the mortgage etc
If there is a huge difference involved you can ask your solicitor to query how it was funded although it can be difficult to force this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So how could I hear about the mortgage without asking?

Sadly it is about listening put for anything that you can pick up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if I know the house he's moved to and know how much he paid for it (from Land registry records) and know that is beyond the settlement and what was declared on his FDR, is that enough evidence to ask for more information about how the house was funded?

Yes that would be reasonable