13262538

After 27 years living together my partner left me and moved

After 27 years living together my partner left me and moved abroad, the house I live in is owned by him, I have continued to live in the house (from2002) Our children have left home and I live alone. He now wants me to pay him £700 per month, or he will have me evicted.
Do I have any rights in this situation.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What financial contribution have you made to the property - and did your ex ever promise you a share of the property?
Please confirm that you were never married to each other?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house value is around £260,000, the house was bought outright, no mortgage. I have updated the house over the last 13 years, spending over £5,000 on the garden alone, new shower, redecorated several times, having wood flooring. He has not contributed to any of that. He told me when he left that as long as I did not bring another man into the house I could stay there as long as I wanted to. This house is a family home, with four sons, five grandchildren etc. If you want more information let me know, I want to know if this is worth fighting in court if it came to that. Thanks

What other structural improvements and alterations have you paid for and by how much has that work increased the value of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had the front steps replaced, costing around £2000, also decking in the garden. no other structural work, decorating and keeping the house updated year on year. All the furnishings have now been replaced. The general up keep of the house over the years must have some regard to the value.

Do you think this is worth pursuing, Can I be evicted even though there is no formal tenancy arrangement in place.

Thanks for your response.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Doreen Pujol

How much would a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A one bedroom property at this time would cost between £100,000 and £120,000

Doreen

The promise that he made and the fact that you spent money on the property in reliance on that promise does create a form of Trust and that means that you do indeed have the right to remain in the property - or alternatively to receive sufficient funds to rehouse yourself (with the money repayable when you no longer need a home)
If he tries to evict you then you can apply to the court for an Occupation Order and at the same time you can make an application to the Court for an order under the Trust of and and Appointment of Trustees Act granting you an Interest in the property.
You should offer to discuss these matters with your ex using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years