13262538

I have split with my ex partner and am living with my parents

i have split with my ex partner and am living with my parents social services took my children from my ex and they now live with me at my parents house this is a temporary measure so i have tried to get help from the council they will not help as my name is ***** ***** joint mortgage the mortgage company will not take my name off even though i am not paying and she refuses to co-operate,i have offered to sign it over to her or her new partner but she won't agree anything.How can i get my name removed or perhaps force her to sell i am not interested in in having any money from the proceeds.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Do you wish to return to the house and live there with the children?
Please confirm that you were not married to your ex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

thank you for the reply, in answer to your questions i don't wish to return to the house with the children and i have never been married to my ex.

At present i'm uncertain of the house value i think about £200,000

with about £185,000 still owing.There is now about £3,000 in arrears.

I can wait for an answer but of course i would like to know as soon as possible.many thanks.

HI
As a joint owner of the property you can force the immediate sale of the property and the equal division of the equity between you.
This is a relatively easy applictaion since your ex has no defence she can use to prevent the sale.
The starting point will be to try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If that fails then you can apply to the court.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years