13262538

My 19yr old daughter will be attending University in

My 19yr old daughter will be attending University in September in order to undertake higher Education, her chosen subject is film making. She is currently in college (four days a week) studying her A levels and has a part time job (some evenings and weekends). I am divorced and curently have an out of court arrangement with her mother with respect to the maintenance I am paying, (I have paid maintenance regularly each month since my daughter was aged 4). My ex-wife doesn't claim any benefits in respect of my daughter. My limited understaning is that I will have to continue with the maintenance payments up until she leaves college which will be in September. I also understand that there is a possibility that I may have to continue with these payments even when she undertakes higher education. I am currently paying an IVA (yr 4 of 6) and have a 9yr old son from my second marriage, I'm not sure if that's relevant in the cobtext of paying my ex wife maintenance. Are you able to provide some guidance as to whether I can legally cease the maintenance payments in September? Many thanks... Pete Davey

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
If your daughter is moving on to University then your liability for maintenance does indeed end in September s far as paying her mother is concerned.
However your daughter could make a claim in her own right if she is unable to maintain herself and you are wealthy (which seems unlikely)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details