13262538

My ex girlfriend has been contacting me over maintenance for

Customer Question

My ex girlfriend has been contacting me over maintenance for our son who is 19 and at university.
I am estranged from both. I have never had contact with him.
Communications have always been from her sometimes via a solicitor. I have seen nothing that convinces me he knows anything about this.
An offer has been made. I have been dealing with her using a solicitor.
I have recently received two letters ostensibly from him accepting the offer and another saying pay the amount in 2 weeks without any conditions or 'other means' will have to be considered.
I feel that the letters are actually been written by his mother with her signing in his name.
If these letters were written and signed by her in his name without him knowing is this legal?
He/she also wants the money paid into an account that the letters say are his but there is no confirmation of this. Again if this were her account would it be illegal to say it is his?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

I am prepared to wait.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am prepared to wait. I am hoping you will be able to answer my question after the holiday weekend if you have more professionals available for advice.

Has he actually provided you with a breakdown of his Income and Expenditure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Clare,

Breakdown of his income and expenditure was provided by his mother. On the basis of this my solicitor advised that my liability was actually nothing. On her advice an offer was made to pay an amount per month or the whole amount to be paid as a one off payment to cover the duration of his course. The latter was accepted. All communications prior to the acceptance were either direct from his mother or via her solicitor either to me or my solicitor.

The acceptance letter and a subsequent one were ostensibly from him though as I have stated I am to say the least sceptical that they are actually from him. I feel his mother is writing these letters and signing in his name.

My question to you is, if this is his mother pretending to be him is she breaking the law? If the account she has suggested is his is actually hers is this breaking the law suggesting it is his when it is hers?

It would only potentially be an offence if your son has not authorised his mother to deal with this.
If you are in any doubt then an Enquiry Agent could find his term time address and you could have a cheque delivered there
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details