13262538

Good morning, My husband and I are in the process of separating.

Customer Question

Good morning,
My husband and I are in the process of separating. In January 2014 he took a job in Qatar and moved my three children and myself to be with him. His job provides the home we live in. We are both UK citizens and at the moment there is no grounds for divorce.
I was wondering what I need to ask him to provide for us, as he is wanting both myself and children to move back to the UK. We have no assets back there and I will basically be starting again. I gave up working to move to Qatar and haven't work since the move. Could I also refuse to move?
I don't want to leave without having something in writing from him.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Stacey Skerritt.
Where were you living prior to the move to Qatar?
How old are the children?
What assets do you each have and how much does your husband earn?
Does he work for a Uk or a foreign firm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare.

We were living in Ross-on-wye, Herefordshire, UK.

The children are 14,12 and 10 years old.

We have no assets except home contents and car.

He works for a foreign firm here in Qatar and earns about £5000.

Stacey.

Have you ever owned your own home - if so what happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No we have never owned our own home. We were both in the military. So have had quarters up until he left in 2006. I left in 2002 on pregnancy. We have privately rent from then until ou r move to Qatar.

Right - that does explain it thank you
When you say it is a foreign firm - is it actually an Arabian firm?
What proposals has your ex made regarding maintenance etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He works for the Qatarie ambulance service. His job title is special operations manager. He has just had a paid rise although I do not know by how much.
He has offered to pay £1000 Child maintenance a month and has given me £6500 to set up back in the UK and for my flight back. He seems to think that I can get enough benefits to live.
I did leave Qatar for a week to fly back to the UK. I have spoke to the local housing authority and even though there's the threat of me being homeless, I am not a priority and they have suggested that I find a private property to rent then apply for housing benefit. I have since return to Qatar, as the children were not coping too well, even though it was against my husbands.
wishes.
My husband doesn't speak to me but is polite. We have agreed that the children we return with me at the end of the School year but this now has become a problem as my son is in the middle of doing his GCSE's and I cannot find a school in Herefordshire who has the same exam boards.
Kind regards,
Stacey.
Not easy for you.
What about military pensions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know he has a half pension from the military and I have a small one which is £1000 a year.
Best guess on his pension amount?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not idea how much his pension would, the paper work is back in the UK. My best guess would be between 6000-8000 pa. It could be more.

My concern is this.
If you remain in Qatar you are at risk of him using a foreign legal system against you.
If you return to the UK and he then stops payment you will find it very difficult to enforce any court orders made in the UK in Qatar - although it would mean that he would have to stay out there if he did not wish to face the consequences of ignoring the UK court order.
However the existence of the military pension does give you a back up in the event that he does withdraw financial support as the court can Order that the pension is diverted to you.
Having said that I do not think his capital offer is sufficient and you shoudl negotiate a sum that more realistically reflects the expenses that you will face
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I have spoken to my husband and he has agreed to offer more. How do I get this formalised before I leave Qatar.

Kind regards,

Stacey.

What is he offering now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has offered £2500 a month.

What about the lump sum which is still small if you need to set up a new home
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We haven't discussed that. I wouldn't know what to ask for.

Have you assessed what you might need - in terms of the costs of setting up home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

He is going to give me 50000QR which is about £8800 although I have ask for £10000. It has taken me this long to actually get him to some what communicate with me.

I have sent you a letter that he would like me to sign but I am unsure.

I have found a school that would be willing to help my son Sean to catch up with his GCSE's but its a private school. Can i ask my husband to pay the fees?

I leave Qatar on Friday.

Kind regards,

Stacey Skerritt.

There is no reason not to sign the agreement - it goes a little way to protect you in the event that he stops payment
It does not deal with your claims on him - but that can be dealt with at a later date
It would certainly be reasonable to ask that he pays for the school fees for your son