Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

If someone's "biological" father wants their "child" to take

Customer Question

If someone's "biological" father wants their "child" to take a DNA test, but they don't want to, can they be forced to by the courts?
I only ask because someone I know has been threaten this on the phone, but there 20 years old and have no interest in suddenly taking the test.
Both parties are in the UK
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
A child of any age can't be forced to take a DNA test.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response, are you able to elaborate slightly? I appreciate the low fee, but I have read online a father has the right to ask for a paternity test, which the courts can inforce in order to determine the biological father for the birth certificate.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
That's all fine but the "child" is 20 and no longer a child. That's the difference from what you've been googling.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
HiIn fact it is open to the "father" to make an applictaion to the court using section 55A of the Family Law Act 1986 for a Court Declaration that he is indeed the father of the person he believes is his son.A DNA test will then be ordered - and if it is refused then the court has the power to decide that the man is indeed the son of the applicant.Clare
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
My colleague is wrong where the child is in fact an adult. The court has no power to order the "child" to take a DNA test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks both for your replies - having read up on the Section 55a of the Family Act (here https://www.cans.org.uk/notes/family/legitimacy-and-legitimation/9-declarations-of-parentage-legitimacy-or-legitimation ) it does suggest an adult could be asked by the court ?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You'll see from that article that the "child" cannot be forced by the courts to take a test which is what your initial question was and what my answer said.
Best regards.
I have to concede that semantically my colleague is correct - the "adult child" cannot physically be force to take the test.
However if he choses not to then the Court can make an inference and can make a Declaration of Parentage - unless of course there has actually been an adoption