13262538

As a separated father of 2 children (17 & 14), can my ex partner

As a separated father of 2 children (17 & 14), can my ex partner insist that I care for the children for any given periods (such as every other weekend, or every Wednesday, for example).
The children live with their mother.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
What contact do you and the children want to have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We want to have continued regular contact.

I live only a few hundred yards from the children, so was in daily contact, until my "ex" (Sarah) began a new relationship in March, since when I have not had so much contact with the children, only because I feel a bit awkward seeing Sarah so often in view of her new relationship.

Sarah has asked me to look after the children more often, so that she is more able to continue in her new relationship.

Everything is very amicable etc etc., but she did say that she'd rather not have to go to law to oblige me to have care of the children more often. That got me wondering if, indeed, I can be forced by law to care for the children periodically?

In fact no she cannot force you to have the children more often than you or they wish.
Indeed the Court are no longer involved at all so far as the 17 year old is concerned - and it is the wishes of the 14 year old that would determine what contact that child has
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Claire

That's very helpful

Peter

You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years