13262538

There. I want to know what happens if 2 people have been

Customer Question

Hi there.
I want to know what happens if 2 people have been separated for 4 years. The relationship finished because of adultery on her side. He has the house and pays the mortgage, but it's in both their names. They split custody of their 2 children. She lives with her partner and has a baby with her partner. He has a new girlfriend of 6 months.
He is now wanting to divorce her, so I want to know how he would go about that. Could he sue her for adultery this far along? Could she sue him for adultery as he's in a new relationship. What grounds could they get a divorce on? And what is his legal standing if she tries to get nasty, especially with the children?
Will his ex agree to a divorce?
How old are the children?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We hope so, but can't be sure.

They are 4 and 6.

Not sure how much the house is worth, but I know he's in debt with it and he won't make any money if and when they sell it.

How do the children share their time between them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has them 2 or 3 times a week, depending on his shifts.

How long for each time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He'll have them for a couple of days at a time.

Ok
Just to check - can he ensure that his ex is released from the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure. She doesn't pay anything on the mortgage and he's the one that lives there.

Either of them could divorce the other on the basis of the ongoing Adultery if they so wished.
Alternatively they could agree to a divorce based on the fact that they have lived apart for more than two years.
The most effective way forward would be for this pair to attend Family mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
to agree the basis of a divorce and to resolve the issues regarding the house and the mortgage.
If this is not possible then he should write to his ex asking her to agree to a divorce based on two years separation (and get her response in writing) - and telling her that if she does not agree to this then he will issue a Petition based on her adultery (and demand a DNA test on the baby if she does not admit the adultery)
He can read more about issuing a Petition here
https://www.gov.uk/divorce/file-for-divorce
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details