Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My partner has been divorced a year, they never agreed

Customer Question

My partner has been divorced for over a year, they never agreed a financial settlement , he walked away from the house and all contents with just his clothes. He has supported his children until they became adults. His ex wife has now written to him via a solicitor asking him to agree a settlement, but also asking what he proposes such a settlement to be.... Does he need to have a solicitor at this stage, to write on his behalf? If not, are there any pitfalls he should avoid in his reply? He is not well off and all he wants is a fair division of the house. What would you recommend?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
What other assets and debts do they each have?