Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

Can you explain what is pension sharing is, this is part of

can you explain what is pension sharing is, this is part of something I will have to sort out as part of a financial agreement when I divorce my wife. Also when I die my pension goes to my wife but not if we are divorced. Is there a way to arrange that to happen even though we are not married.
many thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Pension sharing is a statutory creation whereby a divorcing couple can share one or both of their pensions as part of the division of assets.
The court grants an order for a pension share and the pension company transfers the portion of one pension into a pension scheme in the name of the other party. The value transferred is taken into account when considering the overall split of assets.
As regards ***** ***** part of your question, any issues regarding the death in service benefits of a pension scheme would have to be examined having regard to the scheme and the policies of the pension trustees. If you aren't married a specific nomination may be required but you would have to ask the pension scheme administrator about this as all schemes are different.
I hope this helps.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.