13262538

What is my financial position prior to Decree Nisi?

What is my financial position prior to Decree Nisi? My wife filed a divorce petition in October 2014 but so far has refused to negotiate a financial settlement (presumably as she holds >50% of our joint assets) or even applied for a Decree Nisi. She has blocked the sale of my house (she lives in the former marital home and was not on the deeds) and is demanding half of the profits via her solicitor. I understand that without a decree nisi the court does not have jurisdiction to make a final order in respect of financial issues arising from the marriage. So does my wife have the legal right to block me from receiving the sale proceeds which I need to pay HMRC?

For clarity - the property that you are speaking about is the Matrimonial Home in which she still lives - is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the property Im referring to is another house which I bought separately.

What has happened to the proceeds of sale of that property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The sale was delayed by her action, but appears to be proceeding but has not yet completed. Her solicitor is trying to get the proceeds paid across to their client account, but I have refused. They originally requested that half be sent to my wife, and half to me. Ive agreed to leave the funds at the conveyancing solicitors temporarily so the sale is not blocked again, but it doesn't seem at all fair or reasonable as I owe this money to HMRC.

HI
What is the position with regard to Mediation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I spoke to the mediator who said that he would contact my wife but that he wouldn't be free until 2nd June for a meeting with both of us. I have contacted him but not had an answer yet as to whether this will take place or not or whether my wife responded to him.
Have you had your first meeting with the mediator?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had an initial meeting with him where he took down all the relevant information. My wife was not present.
Excellent
and just to check did you make the threat about applying to dismiss her petition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, on 9th April I wrote "Unless you apply for the Decree Nisi within the next two weeks then I intend to apply to the court to dismiss your petition so that I can file one of my own"

Ive also asked them to confirm that they will be applying for decree nisi on several occasions since and their answer is always "our client will apply for Decree Nisi in advance of submitting any agreed order to the Court for their approval".

In that case why have you not actually applied for her Petition to be dismissed - you are entitled to do so?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only because I have been busy. I was thinking of doing that next. I am more focussed on the witholding of the money. If I apply for petition to be dismissed, does that alter my position?

Could you remind me how it happened that this money is not being released to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife's solicitor put a block on the sale of the house at the land registry which she refused to lift unless the money was either paid to her held in joint names or held at conveyancer until an agreement was reached. This put me, the conveyancer and the estate agent in a difficult position as it risked losing the buyer. So I had little choice but to agree to leave the money at the conveyancer at least until the sale completed. My intention was to try and unblock the money at later stage.
Thank you for that.
You have given your Undertaking and are bound by it whatever the position regarding the Decree Nisi.
However you are right the issue does need to be forced
The way forward is two fold.
If you have not already done so attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting so that you can issue the financial applictaion if you chose to do so and at the same time prepare a draft Divorce Petition base don your ex's behaviour and submit it to her solicitors for comment saying that you will be intending to file this then you apply to dismiss her petition.
Then do it.
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok , thank you, ***** *****