Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am currently co-habiting with my partner of 10 years.

Customer Question

I am currently co-habiting with my partner of 10 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3.
My partner doesn't work and I fully support everyone.
We live in the south and the eldest attends our local school.
My partner is originally from Manchester and relocated so that we could continue our relationship 7 years ago.
We are discussing a separation and being from Manchester my partner wants to move back home with the children. Home for her is 230 miles away.
My argument with that is it will mean pulling our eldest from his school where he is settled, and it will be very difficult for me to be a positive influence in my children lives if I am only able to see them on weekends for 1 day....it just isn't practical, or in my opinion fair, on both me or the children, to travel up and down the country so that we can spend 1 day together.
I am fully committed to be a proper father to them, and want to provide a stable life for them. I have a house they can move into, that I will continue to pay for, my partner will have a fully funded car. Basically their lives need not change.
My question is simple....is she legally allowed to take the children so far from home and create a situation where it is difficult for me to be the father I want to be??
Please confirm that you are named on the birth certificates.
What support does your partner have in the area in which you live?