Familylawexpert1
Familylawexpert1, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified in 2005 and specialise in all aspects of family law, including divorce, finances and children disputes.
86025612

I have a mortgage with my ex partner. I had to leave

Hello I have a mortgage with my ex partner. I had to leave it because after 7 years of paying the mortgage with no help from my ex I was struggling to cope. He now lives in the property while I rent with our son. I can't get any credit because of my ex and he gives me nothing for our son. I just want my name off the mortgage. What can I do?
Carmel McDONOUGH
Expert:  Familylawexpert1 replied 2 years ago.
Is the property owned in joint names? I would advise selling the property, which will release you both from the mortgage. If your former partner is not being co-operative about selling, then you can actually apply to the court for an order to sell the property and for the court to decide the value of your interest in the property (if relevant).

This is a very brief overview but seems to be the most sensible solution, given that you cannot carry on with your name on the mortgage and you are probably entitled to at least 50% of the equity. If he is defaulting on the mortgage payments, the property could be repossessed and you will find it extremely difficult to obtain your own mortgage in the future, so I would advise you to take steps to sell it as quickly as possible.