13262538

I split up with my daughters mother just over 5 years ago,

I split up with my daughters mother just over 5 years ago, It was as amicable as it could be and we agreed that I would have custody of now 9 year old daughter from friday evening to sunday lunchtime (every weekend). However, she is now in a committed relationship and is working full time and my daughter spends more time with me ex's parents, She has now said she is not happy with this current setup and wants to reduce my time spend with daughter.
I would like to know what would the courts see as fair and if I could expect, with solicitors help, to have access to see my daughter one night in the week and friday after school until saturday evening. Is this fair and how much would solicitor cost to send legal docs to this effect to my daughter's mother
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to collect you child from school and get her to school in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I would be able to get flexi time from work in order to do this. I have also never missed any maintenance payments and have enjoyed fun and activity based weekends and holiday time with my daughter, theme parks, bike rides and park/outings etc.

What could I resonably expect from a solicitor/court as fair time to spend with my daughter, Is it likely I could expect 50/50 time between myself and my daughters other or is 70/30 more likely?

I love my daughter and we have great fun and good times, so the more time/part of her life I have the happier I woulld be. But if you thought that in the event of it going to court they would be unlikely to grant me any more than alternative weekends and a few weeks in the school holidays then I would have to accept this

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
It is not unreasonable for you to wish to maintain the contact that you currently have.
Equally it is not unreasonable for your ex to want to spend weekends with her child
The issue is how the current arrangements can be changed so that you maintain the time with your child AND mum can have some weekends as well.
One option would be for the weekend contact to be from school on a Friday until school on a Monday on alternate weeks plus one night in the week and half of all the school holidays
This would give you more nights a fortnight than you currently have
An alternative would be to keep the current weekend arrangements but offer her one weekend in three and ask for an evening/night in the week
Either way the starting point is to attend a Mediation Assessment and Information Meeting with a Family mediator - chose one also trained to work with young people as your daughter may have her own views on the issue
If Mediation fails and your ex does try an limit the ocntact you will then be able to apply for a Child Arrangement Order to protect your time with your child
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years