13262538

ThereI have recently separated from my partner (not

Hi there
I have recently separated from my partner (not married) and my 3 year old son lives with her at my old house. We had mediation to sort out all of the financial side of things. During this mediation my ex said she would like to change my sons surname. He currently has my surname and I am on his birth certificate as the father and I share parental responsibility. At the time I said no.
My partner has since suggested that she will change his name (unofficially) anyway. For instance, at his nursery and when he goes to school. I understand that this is not a legal change but my question is that is she allowed to do this without my consent?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
In fact your ex cannot change his name at Nursery or School who have to use the correct name as set out on his birth certificate. The same is true with the dentist doctor and his passport.
Obviously your ex can use her own name anywhere unofficially - with friends etc - but not anywhere official!
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

I have read some examples (online so possibly not true!) of where the official name is ***** ***** the school register but the school use the unofficial name when addressing the pupil/parent. It did however say written consent was required, would this have to be from both of us or would just my ex suffice?

Schools did do this in the past - however these days they are much more aware of the law and realise that it is not something that should be done unless both parents agree