Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

As a family back in 1970 our father gifted his brother's (Sgt.

As a family back in 1970 our father gifted his brother's (Sgt. John Meikle V.C. M.M.) Victoria Cross, Military Medal, citations and records to the Seaforth Regimental Club in Scotland (Dingwall). This was to protect them from ever being sold for business, personal or private gain. The Club sometime later disbanded and the medals and records were taken over by the Dingwall Charitable Museum where they are now. At the time it was suggested that should the museum close for what ever reason. The medals and records would be transferred to the Military Museum at Fort George. The family do not wish to make any claim to these but simply wish to secure their safety from sale. We have indicated our concrens and wishes to the current Dingwall staff both verbally at a meeting and recently in writing. We are not getting any response. Is there any assistance we the family may use in this matter without incurring excessive legal costs. Any guideance you can offer would be appreciated.
Kindest regards,
John D.Meikle (eldest surviving family member)
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots solicitor.
What was the legal basis of the transfer from the Seaforth Regimental Club to the Dingwall Charitable Museum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry I can't answer that and the current museum holders are being vague about any questions.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The legal position is that your father gifted the medal. At that point of gift the ownership was transferred to the Seaforth Regimental Club. The family would appear to have no rights thereafter unless there was some contract to impose terms and conditions on the future of the medal.
Happy to discuss.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your comments and given this is not a formal legal statement would it be possible would it be possible to have an e-mailed copy of your response for family circulation. That being the case I'll thank you and close this matter.

Kindest regards, ***** ***** Meikle.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There is no way to email my response as JustAnswer is a question and answer site albeit the experts are experienced lawyers. You can print, scan or email our exchange for your family but personal emails are not permitted by the site.