13262538

My grandaughter was adopted and I fought so hard to have guardianship

My grandaughter was adopted and I fought so hard to have guardianship of her but was turned down because I was going through breast cancer at the time. She was abused by her mother(my son's partner at the time) and was left with brain damage and rib fractures.The mother was sent to prison and my son was also for failing to protect his daughter.The mother was found to have severe mental health issues. My ex husband and I were granted by the court a six monthly medical progress report on our grandaughter but Social Services Legal Team messed it up by saying we had been granted Postal contact which is a completely different thing altogether and we were then informed that grandparents have no right to have post box contact.So now I receive absolutely nothing whatsoever which I feel to be very cruel. can you advise me as to if there is anything I can do without running up massive legal costs as I am now 60 years old and disabled.
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
around 2004 this happened
HI
How old is the child now?
Does your son have postal contact?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my grandaughter Lydia is now 12 years old but as I have not received the 6 monthly progress reports awarded via the family court I do not know how badly her head injury affects her abilities.We were told she would not walk but she did and that she would be wheelchair bound and all sorts but I really don't know anything as I get absolutely nothing.I would also ask if it is a legal requirement that adopters must tell a child at a certain age that they are adopted? Social Services informed me whilst all this was going on that it was the most difficult case they had ever had to deal with and had made a total hash of everything.I could not believe how badly my family were treated and left out completely as having been interested to become guardians for Lydia. I expect there is nothing I can do now.People keep telling me that grandparents have rights but I don't think we do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my son received a couple of letters from Lydia's adopters but did not want to take up post box contact with them but with Lydia perhaps when she became of an age whereupon she could write letters herself but when he asked if he could take post box contact with Lydia which the courts deemed he could at any time,he was refused by Social Services.He takes a Birthday card and a Christmas card to Social Services every year without fail and they just keep it on file until I think Lydia is 18. We have no desire to disrupt Lydia's new family life but as my health is failing it might be nice just to hear how she is doing and get a photograph or two.
What evidence do you have of the original decision to give you progress reports?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to destroy a lot of papers upon my husband deserting me and was facing homelessness so destroyed a lot of sensitive paperwork in reference to Lydia as people were telling me that often things get stolen in storage.I now regret doing this as storage was not required as we were rehomed.
Does that mean that you no longer have a copy of the order that was actually made or the Care Plan it was based on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,I think that all I can do is just wait and perhaps Lydia will be able to contact me some day. All very sad but my daughter is very concerned that if I pursue this it will make me extremely ill. My daughter is frightened to have children as she was threatened by social services that they may be taken from her just because of what happened with her brother's case. I am just going to leave it all as it's making me unwell. thank you for your assistance.
Sadly I think that this may well be you r best option at this stage.
However your daughter need not be frightened about having children - there is no evidence that your daughter is in anyway a risk to children and I fear that Social Services were simply trying to scare her
Please ask if you need further details