13262538

I have been divorced few years now and my Ex husband

Hi I have been divorced for a few years now and my Ex husband is about to remarry. out of the blue he wants a clean break settlement. I have looked into this and from what i have read, this will only benefit him, as when he remarries he will loose all claim to any of my fortune. But he has come back to me and said that as he petitioned the divorce and ticked the boxs at the end(what ever that means)he does not loose the right to claim once remarried. I feel he is putting me in a corner because he knows it will only benefit him as i am not remarried.
Kerina
What assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare
Since divorcing I have bought a council property, which I paid £92000.00 for. I have debts up to twenty thousand pounds, my income is £28000. My Ex does not have no assets and I do not know how much in debt he is. Her earns around about 24000. Since messaging you, my ex husband has text me threatening to take me to court or am I interested in mediation. I feel he is trying back me into a corner to get what he wants. Can he take me to court if I am not interested in a clean break settlement?
Kerina Barzoukas
May I ask why you wish to keep your claims open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No reason. I just dont want to be pushed into doing something i no nothing about . Thats why i have asked ur advice
kerina
Once he has remarried he does indeed lose any financial claim on you in respect of spouse maintenance or any assets not held in joint names - this is the case no matter how many boxes he has ticked.
He can apply to the court for the finances to be dealt with in order to achieve a Clean Break Order - and if he does do so then it is worth your agreeing to it - but there is no need to do so at this stage.
Please ask if you need further details