13262538

Clare, The Estate Agent has gotten in touch with me and

Hi Clare,
The Estate Agent has gotten in touch with me and she has paid the rent to my Ex.
My Ex has also instructed her to put the property on the market.
I'm not sure what to do because while I want the property sold I also want to make sure I get my fair share of the equity.
thanksJane
Are you concerned that in fact the property will not be properly marketed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that and I don't know how the sale process for a joint property works

Since he is initiating the sale,

- can the agent put it on the market without my permission?

- what if he markets it for a give away price?

- once sold, how can I make sure he doesn't run off with the proceeds of the sale?

Since you are joint owners of the property you will both have to be involved in the marketing of the property and in agreeing the sale price and where the proceeds should go
Given that you were willing to give your ex the house it would be sensible to make it plain that provided the sale moves quickly you will not make a claim on the equity
I hope that this is of assistance- please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your reply.

So do you mean the agents/solicitors will require my approval at each of these stages?

Is there anything I need to do on my own part to ensure this at this point?

With regards ***** ***** I intend to make a claim on the equity, I was not willing to give him the house but was only looking for a way to get the property sold and my deposit plus equity back. He has been so difficult he has cost me money and stress and I would not on top of everything he has taken from me, let him walk away with the equity on the house.

Your response to the above questions will be appreciated.

thanks

Yes you need to be involved at every stage - so make sure you stay in touch and ask for updates