13262538

My daughter has just turned 16 years old. Her mother and I

Customer Question

My daughter has just turned 16 years old. Her mother and I parted when she was 4 years old. I did not/do not have parental rights. Her mother died approximately 2 months ago. At that point she and my daughter had been living with her partner (of 6 years (although they had only lived together about a year). Prior to this, they had lived with her parents (grand parents of my daughter). Since the death, no discussion has been had with regards ***** ***** she is going to live and she has continued to live with her mother's partner. I have been paying him maintenance as I had done to her mother, because I wanted to ensure she had everything she needs. I would like for my daughter to come and live with my wife and I. Since her mother's death it feels like the partner has taken control of my daughter's life. I am planning to take her on holiday and I felt awkward as he passed her passport to me and wrote down dates. He has expressed he wasn't happy for her to stay over with a friend. Her Grandparent's appear to support him. He also asked me to sign a letter written by himself and the grandmother, stating that I gave permission for them both to deal with my daughter's mother's administration. They talked of a possible trust for my daughter. I did not feel that my permission was needed but my wife asked why I would need to sign something if it did not involve me. She felt that I should have sought legal advice before signing anything. I am worried about whether I have the right to bring my daughter to live with me, and what rights the partner or grand parent's have or if in deed my daughter decides she want's to continue to live with him. I am really concerned as it feels very inappropriate that my daughter is living with her mother's bereaved partner, when she has only known him for a couple of years (she was not introduced until they had decided to live together). Can you please tell me what my rights are, and the rights of the others concerned including my daughter.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Il continue to wait for an answer,thanks.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where does your daughter wish to live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Clare,I haven't discussed with my daughter as to her wishes as to where she wants to live because she was doing her gcse exams,which have just finished,I thought it may put her under pressure,but I will ask her asap,thanks Shannon

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
This is important as at 16 it is her choice and her's alone where she lives and with whom.
This would be the case even if you had Parental Responsibility.
You were asked to sign the authorisation as your daughter is entitled to inherit her mother's estate in full and you could potentially have acted for her in achieving this.
However the lack of Parental Responsibility could well have meant that this was not possible - so getting you to sign was more by way of making sure all aspects were covered rather than being legally necessary
Please ask if you need further details