13262538

Don't know if I have the right legal expert, but

Don't know if I have the right legal expert, but here goes. Strange one maybe and not something you probably have come across yet. I am divorced and living in the family home. My ex wife is still on the mortgage though. Not going to go into the technical details of that.
I'll give a brief intro so you understand the situation.
We get along very well now and she has a partner and just had a baby. He lost his jobs and are earning a lot less than he used and they are struggling with the added expense of the baby.
I am in a relationship and I stay with my girlfriend 2 weeks of the month and the other two at my house as I have 50/50 custody of my daughter. I thought it a waste having an empty house two weeks of the month and paying mortgage etc.
I offered for my ex and her partner and baby to move in. I am converting garage into a living area for myself. We will split all expenses (mortgage, utilities, council tax etc.)in three and I am not there two weeks of the month.
That gets me to my question finally. Do I have to declare the extra income for tax ? I know £4250 is tax free, but I will get about double that. As my ex wife's name is ***** ***** mortgage ,she is not really a lodger as such, is she? We are basically just living in "our house" and her partner with her.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will wait,thank you.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need an answer really, so will wait.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Was a financial agreement made within the Divorce proceedings and turned into a Court Order?
If so what does it say about the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Claire, no there wasn't. At the time it was in negative equity.

So at the moment she is just on the mortgage. I have no issue with her having good 50% entitlement to the proceeds when sold.

In my layman's view she is part owner of the house so not longing with me of they move in and will just share expenses,thus I don't think I have to declare it as income.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are correct - she is a joint owner so there is no question of her paying rent - you are merely continuing to share the costs of the property that you jointly own.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Claire, apologies, I see my writing was a bit erratic, with the help of predictive text! I see you got the crux of it though. I will just get her to pay her and her partner's share from her account and sort the rest between them, so there is only a contribution from her coming into my account. It is exactly what I needed to know, thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
I would suggest that you have a written agreement setting out the arrangements between you
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years