Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Child maintenance and apprenticeships

Customer Question

My son has just completed a college course and has found a job with a local firm of electrician as an apprentice starting on 1st July 2015. As of September 2015 he will do day release to college 1 day a week. He will be earning £400 a month for the first year. He is 17yrs old. I have a court order for child maintenance which states I have to continue to pay until he reaches 17 years old or he completes full time tertiary education, which ever is the latter.I thought this would mean I will cease payments at the beginning of July but my ex wife has advised me that she believes that I have to continue until he completes his apprenticeship which is in 4 years time. Can you please advise, also if it is the case that my liability will cease how do I notify her do I need to get a solicitor to confirm this as she will not be willing to accept my word. Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.Extra note. I have spoken to the child maintenance options office who have confirmed that his apprenticeship is classed as full time employment and therefore child maintenance should not be paid. I also spoke with the child benefit office who confirmed his mum would no longer be able to claim child benefit as they also consider this to be full time employment. What I need to know is on this basis am I to assume the court order should cease ?