13262538

I am wanting to get a divorce. We have been married

Customer Question

I am wanting to get a divorce. We have been married for 6 years, seperated since June 2014. I own the house and have always 100% paid for the mortgage and all the household bills and my husband only ever contributed £60 per month. He is now suggesting he is entitled to 50% of the value of the house, where I live with our two children that I 100% financially support. Is he correct?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How long have you actually lived together and how old are the children?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have lived together at the property for 4 years and we lived at my former address together for 3 years. The children are 5 years and 3 years old (well they will be in a fortnight!) the house is worth £800,000 and there is no mortgage left.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Where did the money for the property come from?
How much does a cheaper three bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was paid for 80% by my parents, money they gave to me and the additional 20% I have paid off personally with no input from him. A 3 bed house would be about £400,000
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
A seven year relationship does give your ex a financial claim on the matrimonial home - but not 50% or anything close - but a claim none the less.
Given all the circumstances you describe a 10% claim would be the VERY most he would be entitled to
You should try and negotiate with him using Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
This can only be the roughest of guides - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I really appreciate your help. I will approach about mediation but he is being very unreasonable at the moment so is difficult to approach him.
Am I entitled to change the locks on the house? I find it a bit worrying to be home alone and he has a key so would like to.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Technically your ex is entitled to enter the matrimonial home so long as you are still married - however if you lose your keys you will need to replace them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Clare, is there anything I can do about access? He makes me feel threatened if I am home alone and worried about his behaviour so that is why I was hoping I could perhaps have a rule in place about him accessing the property?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
The only way to achieve that would be to obtain an Occupation Order - and unless he has a habit of calling at the property and threatening you that will not necessarily be easy to achieve