How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34271
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I own my house jointly with my wife and we have equity of approx

Resolved Question:

I own my house jointly with my wife and we have equity of approx £300K. She pays the majority of the mortgage as she earns more than I do and I have done all of the wotk renovating the property as well as pay the food bills etc.
if we were to spilt up, would she be able to claim a bigger part of the equity ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information long have you lived together and are there any children involvedClare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have been martried 40 years, we have two children but now in their 30s and living elswhere.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
The starting point for division of the equity will be 50/50 - and given the length of the marriage the court will not vary from that - whatever the imbalance in your incomes has been
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you