13262538

My friends daughter (US by birth) married a man from the Uk

Customer Question

My friends daughter (US by birth) married a man from the Uk and had a child together in UK. The child has special needs and they divorced for whatever reason. My friends daughter had no alternative but to return to the USA to live initially with her parents but now lives separately with her child.
Maintenance payments has always been an issue which is now acute .
Their question to me is how they go about enforcing legally on the father to pay maintenance on a regular basis as would be the case if their daughter had remained in the UK and sought CSA involvement.
Your assistance appreciated
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The mother has two options.
She can apply for an Order in her home State and then using the Reciprocal Arrangements in place between the two countries to enforce the Order here in the Uk
You can read a little about these here
https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-if-one-parent-lives-abroad/paying-parent-lives-in-the-uk
Her alternative is to instruct a solicitor in the UK to make a claim in a court local to her ex, and then enforce it if necessary.
Either way child maintenance is a priority and he will have to pay
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details