13262538

I'm due to marry my partner in a couple of months time. She

I'm due to marry my partner in a couple of months time. She has 3 children (17, 15, 12) and receives maintenance (private Arrangement) from her ex husband.
Our question is - Does my marrying her alter or change these maintenance payments/agreement.
I'm not going to adopt any of the children, they may or may not change their surname in the future. Her ex is a bank manager and earns up to twice my salary and has remarried himself to a woman with no children and they aren't looking to start a family. He has access to his 3 children fortnightly but is welcome to see them any other occasion should he wish.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
The fact that your partner has remarried does not change the position on child maintenance - and her ex shoudl be paying 19% of his gross income (less if the children spend more than 52 nights a year with him)
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

Thanks for your prompt reply.

We thought that might be the case as they're his children whether my partner marries or not.

The only doubt we have is that - "Do i automatically become their "Step Dad" on marrying their mother?"

I've got no qualms about that and get on with all 3 children brilliantly. They live with us full time and stay with their father every other weekend.

We think we've heard somewhere that if I automatically become their Step Dad through this marriage, then that may effect the maintenance payments etc.

Just one more question; You mentioned in your reply about 19% of gross income. I'm assuming that this has been calculated on having 3 children and that the percentage changes depending on the number of children.

Kind Regards

Andy

Yes you become their stepfather as you will be married to their mother however the description has no relevance in this situation - it is simply a semantic fact.
Yes it is 19% for three or more children;16% for two and 12% for one