James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am currently separated from my husband and have been so for

Customer Question

I am currently separated from my husband and have been so for almost three years. We sold the family home we owned and split the equity and purchased our own respective homes.
My husband now seeks a divorce, however over this period he has given by half me half of his half Army pension, he is due to receive his full pension at aged 55.
I began living with my husband in 1990... leaving my home to follow him in the forces, we married in 1995.
We have two children, aged 11 and 16, they both live with me, they both have regular contact with their dad, every other full weekend, fri, sat, sun and mon, and every weds.
My concern is that I earn just under £24,000, while tax credits support and of course the maintenance, plus the half pension.
Money is tight, holiday's are non existent, though do we have heat, good food and days out.
My question is, am I entitled to claim some, half or more of the Army pension. I do not have a long standing pension due not be able to hold down a job for any length of time before of the nature of the Armed Forces.
I seek not to clean out my husband, merely to request what I may or may not be entitled to.
Can you help?
How was the equity split between you?