Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I am years old and have been married to my husband

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and have been married to my husband for just over 2 years, during that time he has been both physically and mentally abusive to me, I have taken some very bad beatings from him. My question is we own our house jointly but he tells me if I leave him I wont get a penny of it as I haven't been married long enough. Can you give me any idea if this is correct.
How long have you actually lived together and where were you living before the marriage?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have lived with my husband since getting married before that I lived in a flat which was rented. The house is worth around £250,000 and there is no mortgage, I was given the half of the house as a wedding present shortly after we got married. I really need to know what I can receive as I sold all my furniture etc when I got married.

How much would a small one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
What other assets does your husband have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
When you say he gave you half of the house as a wedding gift - are you on the deeds?