13262538

I left my partner over a year ago due to relationship

Customer Question

hello, I left my partner over a year ago due to relationship breakdown, we have two children 5 and 14. We were not married. She will not allow me to introduce the children to my new partner. What are my rights with regard this?
What contact do you have with the children and what is the objection to your new partner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have my children on alternate weekends. She is suggesting it is too soon after the split for the children to meet my new partner. I live with my new partner, so up to now to please my ex's wishes I have the children at my parents house, which obviously is not ideal.
For clarity - you have been separated for a year?
How long have you lived with your partner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I left the family home 13 months ago. They have sinned moved some 160 miles away. I have been living with new partner for 7 months.
have you ever signed a Parental Responsibility Agreement for your eldest child?
Does your eldest wish to meet your new partner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No signed agreement is in place no. My eldest is happy to meet my new partner yes.
The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Neither parent is able to dictate what contact should be - it is something that needs to be agreed between you
Unless your partner is a risk to children (unlikely) then there is no reason why your children should not meet her
One minor complication is that you do not in fact have Parental Responsibility for your eldest child - although that can be solved by you both signing a Parental Responsibility Order
Your starting point is to try and discuss both matters with your ex using Family Mediation
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If that fails then you will need to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order - and a Parental Responsibility Order for the eldest child.
You will get both.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There has been a suggestion by my ex partner that the fact I left the family home, left the children, that this would have some bearing on my rights?

None whatsoever!