13262538

Estranged daughter taking me to court to fund her through uni

Estranged daughter taking me to court to fund her through uni after CSU payments finish.
What is my defence?? I've paid maintenance through entire period (employed police officer) At age 16 I've given her a £7,000 savings policy which was set up for uni fund when she was born.
She wants nothing to do with me, won't acknowledge me in street. I have three step sons, all similar ages who have to fund themselves through part time work and student loans as my wife and I have credit cards and loans!
Help!!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Which part of the Uk are you in and what income do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Portsmouth and £43000 annual salary minus mortgage, bills and debt.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
When did she start her course and what efforts has she made to fund herself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is still at college until August next year her mother has already applied to the court for a variation based on no longer receiving CSa stating potential costs of attending uni doing vetinary courses both in and out of London. She has not yet applied to uni (applications due Jan 16). She does not work and appears to be relying on loans and me.
I have three stepsons, one is at uni (1st yr) and has survived on his own with minimum loan and working. We are not able to support any of the children. (We could prob help one but not all). The next oldest is working too saving for his uni.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How old is she?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
17, 18 in November before Uni applications due. I believe her mother realises if she turns 18 then she (my ex-wife) can't apply for variation only my daughter can apply for a specific order and take me to court.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So are you paying spouse or child maintenance to your ex?
What has your ex actually applied for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes £366 per month (2 children) CSA since we split several years ago. She's asking for minimum £900 per term to help bridge gap between cost of living and loans.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So your ex is applying for Child maintenance to be paid to her for the benefit of your daughter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She filed a c1 application for an order with c10 variation of financial provision of a child. How can she do this when my daughter has yet to take A levels and is at least 6 months away from even applying to uni??
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Exactly - she has applied to early as at present the CSA still has conduct of the Child Maintenance, and this shoudl be your initial argument to the court.
The second line of argument will be that this is an applictaion that can only be made once the "Child" has left school and has a place at the University of her Choice.
She will then have to show the extent of her "reasonable" needs and what income she has from all possible sources - and at this stage there is no way of knowing what the position will be.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry finally am I right in thinking that when my daughter reaches 18 she will have to apply to the court NOT her mother?
I am pretty sure she wouldn't want to do that! This is very much driven by my ex!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years