Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

How can I make my mother a legal guardian to my son should

Customer Question

How can I make my mother a legal guardian to my son should anything happen to me? I currently have custody and am disabled following a stroke 18 years ago. His father and I were never married, although he is named on his birth certificate. However I do not know where his farther lives and he pays no money towards his upkeep and rarely sees him. My mother has helped me raise my son since I kicked his father out when my son was 2, as he was violent to me. Would I have to go to a court or solicitors to make my mum guardian of my son in the event of my poor health? And would it even be possible? Many thanks.
How old is the child and do you actually have a Court Order stating that the child lives with you?