13262538

Do i still have to pay maintenance child if they

Customer Question

Do i still have to pay maintenance for my child if they are working full time hours abroad for the holidays? She is 18years old. When she comes back she'll be in collage full time. Also does it have to be paid straight to the other parent? Or can it be paid direct to the child? (and she pay it to the parent)
We made a private arrangement when we seperated. CSA are not involved
What will she be studying at college?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,
She has just finished the 1st year of a btec sports course. She is away in the US working for camp america for the summer. During a phone call with the CSA my wife was told that if the child was working over 18 hours per week we only needed to make a reduced payment.
The other part of the question is that because she is 18 (an adult) we wanted to pay direct to her and not to her mother.
Rgds Neil & Dawn
HI
The problem that you face is that if you stop now then your ex will be able to apply to the CMS for maintenance and since your daughter will be back in college in September you will then be left with a CMS assessment rather than a private arrangement.
Payments to your daughter will not count as Child Maintenance at all
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clare,
Does this mean we are bound into making payments of the full amount, or reduced payment for the period she is in employment?
Neil & Dawn
That depends on whether or not you think the mother will react badly - and if the current payment is less than a CMS assessment would be